4th Infantry Division

4th Division Artillery

The unit was first constituted on November 19, 1917 as Headquarters Battery, 4th Field Artillery Brigade, and assigned to the 4th Infantry Division. The unit was organized for combat operations at Camp Greene, North Carolina from December 15, 1917 to January 10, 1918. 4th Field Artillery Brigade departed for World War I in Europe in the winter of 1918. Upon returning stateside, the 4th Field Artillery Brigade was stationed at Camp Lewis, Washington where it was inactivated on September 21, 1921. 4th Field Artillery Brigade was re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Field Artillery Brigade at Fort Sill, Oklahoma January 1, 1935 and then disbanded on November 14, 1939. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Field Artillery was reconstituted on September 10, 1940 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Division Artillery (DIVARTY). Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Division Artillery was activated October 1, 1940 at Fort Benning, Georgia and participated in multiple World War II campaigns. The unit was inactivated on March 5, 1946 at Camp Butler, North Carolina. On July 6, 1948, at Fort Ord California, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Division Artillery was again activated. April 1, 1957, at Fort Lewis, Washington, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Division Artillery was reorganized and re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Infantry DIVARTY. By December 1970, the unit returned from South Vietnam to Fort Carson, Colorado. During that same year, the unit re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th infantry Division Artillery (Mechanized). This last re-designation named the Division Artillery the "Iron Gunners," which complemented the "Ironhorse" Division. With the realignment and downsizing of the Army force, the unit was reassigned to Fort Hood, Texas on December 15, 1995. On December 16, 2004, the transformation and restructuring of the 4th Infantry Division Artillery marked the Army's first modular fires brigade. The brigade then inactivated April 16, 2007 at Fort Hood, Texas because of the realignment of Army units. On May 6, 2015 the unit was re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Infantry Division Artillery at Fort Carson, Colorado and unfurled its colors on Founders Field May 14.

Sponsorship Page