The 759th Military Police Battalion was constituted 19 August 1942 in the Army of the United States and activated 15 September 1942 at Fort Ontario, New York. The cadre was comprised of four officers and one hundred and seven enlisted Soldiers from the 712th Military Police Battalion and three officers from the Provost Marshal General School at Fort Ogelthorpe, Georgia. The battalion remained at Fort Ontario undergoing training until March 1943 when it moved to New York City and was engaged in dock security.
In April, the battalion moved to Fort Dix, New Jersey, where it underwent intensive training and acted as escort for prisoners of war trains. The end of July found the battalion enroute to Camp Patrick Henry, VA. Here the battalion was organized into prisoner of war teams of one officer and thirty two enlisted Soldiers, and by late August, all were overseas in Oran, Algeria except a skeleton headquarters of five officers and sixteen enlisted Soldiers. In Algeria, MPs were assigned to patrol Oran and the villages nearby, handle traffic control for trucks moving in and out of the port, and guarding supply facilities and POW collection points that were scattered all the way to Bizerte, Algeria. Late October 1943, two prisoner of war teams returned and the rear detachment moved to Fort Dix, NJ and prepared for the expected return of the rest of the prisoner of war teams. However, the remainder of the battalion deployed December 15, 1943 to Oran, Algeria.
On December 28,1943, the battalion sailed for Naples, Italy for duty with the 5th Army where it was billeted in the stables of the "King's Palace". The battalion moved after the 5th Army through Capua and Sessa and on June 10, 1944, they participated in General Clark's Grand Parade through the streets of Rome.
Continuing with the 5th Army, performing traffic control and general security missions, the battalion moved on through Rome to Siena. Here on July 19, orders were received for the battalion to return to Naples. Duty with the 5th Army was completed and the battalion was assigned to the 7th Army for the impending invasion of Southern France. On July 21, the battalion was in bivouac below Anzio and the next morning the companies left for their respective assignments, each being assigned to provide security and traffic control on the various landing beaches. The successful landing was made with only two fatalities, PFC Ralph C. Carter, and PFC Pasquale A. Sergio, both of Company "B", 759th MP Battalion.
In October 1944, the 36th Infantry along with the 759th MP Battalion rushed northward towards the Ardennes, to link with General Bradley's 12th Army Group. The battalion was stationed just south of Bastogne to provide traffic control for General Patton's supply vehicles as they prepared for the upcoming battle. On January, 1 1945, German soldiers dressed in American uniforms and speaking english attempted to infiltrate American lines. Military Police from the 759th help thwart this attempt and their alertness helped allow General Bradley's armada to breakthrough enemy lines.
From the Ardennes, the 759th Military Police Battalion moved towards the Rhine River with General Patton's Third and General Patch's Seventh Armies. The MPs were spread throughout several locations including Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Phorzeim, ahead of the infantry, setting up patrols and directing traffic. VE Day found the battalion in possession of five Battle stars for the campaigns in Italy (Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno), Southern France (with arrowhead), Rhineland, and Central Europe.
From VE Day until early October 1945, the battalion engaged in reorganization and training, a large portion of the battalion attending MP School at Bar-Le-Duc, France. During this period there were many personnel changes in the battalion, as "high point" Soldiers left for the States and were replaced by "low point" Soldiers. The battalion was tentatively scheduled for duty in the Pacific theater, then for re-deployment, but finally in mid October 1945 the 759th MP Battalion was chosen for what was considered the prize assignment of the occupation, relocation to the city of Berlin. The Battalion coined the phrase "Law East of the Elbe", that lasted until the US occupation ended in 1989 after the collapse of the Berlin Wall.
By the end of October 1945, the move to Berlin was completed and the 759th Military Police Battalion relieved the 713th Military Police Battalion of duty. Headquarters, "A", and "C" Companies were billeted at 86-89 Kaiserallee, "B" Company at 10 Geygerstrasse and "D" Company at 10 Scharfestrasse. Companies "A", "B", and "D" were the patrol companies and Company "C" the service company, furnishing all escorts, the interior guard for the Command Post and maintaining the Motor Pool at Kaiserallee. In April 1947, the battalion moved to Roosevelt Barracks. The four line companies were assigned patrol areas and HQ Company personnel assumed responsibility for escorts, special details and operation of the Military Police District Headquarters. One of the initial duties assigned to the battalion was the training and equipping of a cadre of German police. The battalion kitchens also fed the local populace and organized German American Youth Clubs.
On October 20, 1947, the 759th Military Police Battalion was re-designated the 759th Military Police Service Battalion.
In 1948, the battalion assisted in the Berlin Airlift during the Soviet blockade of the city. The Battalion served so well during the blockade of the city, that the memorial "Luftbrucke" which was subsequently built to commemorate the event is included on the Distinctive Unit Insignia of the 759th Military Police Battalion.
In August 1949, the 513th Military Police Service Platoon and the 18th Military Police Service Platoon was formed as a provisional company and designated Company "E" with duties of interior guard of the Berlin Military Police Headquarters Compound.
In March 1950, the battalion prepared to move from Roosevelt Barracks to McNair Barracks in the city of Berlin. "A" Company made the initial move on March 29, 1950. The movement of the entire battalion was not completed until June 11, 1950. At that time all company messes were abolished and a Battalion Consolidated Mess, which had been partially operating since April 28, 1950, was officially established.
The Battalion Motor Pool was established in Andrews Barracks and remained the motorpool for the Military Police until the inactivation of Berlin Brigade. Early in March 1950, the battalion was relieved of some of its military police commitments by Company "C", 382nd Military Police Service Battalion, stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany, the 526th Military Police Service Company, stationed in Hanau, Germany and the 511th Military Police Service Platoon, stationed in Mannheim, Germany. These organizations, augmented by the 513th and 18th Military Police Service Platoons, assumed the military police functions of Berlin Military Post, and the battalion went into intensive tactical training. On June 1, 1950, the battalion resumed its police duties in Berlin.
On November 20, 1950, the 18th and 513th Military Police Service Platoons were inactivated and the 759th Military Police Service Battalion was redesignated the 759th Military Police Battalion under TO&E 19-55, 19-56, 19-57, less Company "D". On November 24, 1950, the Horse Platoon, previously attached to the 16th Constabulary Squadron was deactivated and personnel and all equipment were transferred to the 759th Military Police Battalion. The personnel remained intact as a Provisional Horse Platoon with authorization for one officer, thirty-seven Soldiers and fifty-two horses.
In addition to the battalion's primary military function of policing Berlin, it also operated the Post Provisional Guardhouse, and two checkpoints on the corridor through the Soviet Zone. One checkpoint was located at the Hemelin Bridge (Check Point Bravo) in Berlin and the other was at Helmstedt, Germany (Check Point Alpha-within the British Sector of Northern Germany). A Highway Patrol Section with three patrol sedans patrolled the corridor from Berlin to Helmstedt. The battalion was inactivated on November 2, 1953 in Berlin, Germany.
Reactivation — 2000
The Battalion was activated again on June 6, 1968 at Fort Dix, New Jersey and reorganized on November 2, 1970. At the time, the battalion consisted of HHD, the 412th Military Police Company, 511th Military Police Company and the 555th Military Police Company. The primary missions of the battalion included law enforcement, support Fort Dix Oplans as directed by the Commanding General, and provide operational support to the U.S. Army Training Center at Fort Dix as directed by the Commanding General.
On March 14, 1972, the 532nd MP Company was attached to the 759th MP Battalion. The company was reassigned in 1980 to the US Army Training Center at Fort Dix, New Jersey. On June 3, 1974, the 555th MP Company was transferred to Fort Lee, VA. On September 19, 1978, the 412th MP Company was detached from the battalion and reassigned to control of headquarters, Department of the Army and later relocated to Fort Polk, Louisiana. The Battalion supported Cuban resettlement operations in 1980 and 1981 at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin.
By 1984, the composition of the Battalion had changed and consisted of HHD, 511th MP Company, D/39th ENG, 363rd Trans Company, and the 556th MED Company. In October 1986, the 556th Medical Company was inactivated and on August 14, 1987, the 363rd Transportation Company was also inactivated.
The 759th Military Police Battalion was relocated to Fort Carson, Colorado in 1987. The 984th MP Company came under control of the battalion upon arrival to Ft. Carson. D Company 39th Engineer Battalion remained at Fort Dix. From August 6, 1990 to December 4, 1990, HHD and the 984th MP Company deployed to Panama in support of Operation Promote Liberty. Their mission was to protect U.S. citizens, U.S. property, and U.S. interests in support of the nation building process.
In 1991, the Battalion deployed in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The battalion was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation and Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA. From 1992-1993, the 984th MP Company deployed to Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope. The company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award. On October 20, 1993, the 59th MP Company moved from Germany to Fort Carson and was assigned to the 759th MP Battalion.
From 1992-1993, the 984th MP Company deployed to Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope. The company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award. On October 20, 1993, the 59th MP Company moved from Germany to Fort Carson and was assigned to the 759th MP Battalion. From Sep 9, 1994 to Jan 23, 1995, HHD and the 59th MP Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Their mission was to provide humanitarian and civil affairs operations in support of Cuban and Haitian migrant camps. For their efforts, the battalion was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award and Streamer embroidered GUANTANAMO BAY.
On Jun 16, 1998, Company A of the Garrison Military Police was redesignated as the 148th Military Police Detachment, and began operations as a deployable Military Police unit under the 759th. In 1999, the 759th MP Battalion was awarded the Superior Unit Citation for distinguishing itself by deploying and redeploying subordinate units and individual soldiers in support of two major contingency operations, three major training exercises, and numerous Secretary of Defense and United States Army Forces Command support missions, while simultaneously providing force protection and law enforcement support of the Fort Carson community.
2000 — Operation Iraqi Freedom
The 984th MP Company deployed to Bosnia in September 2000 in support of SFOR7 assisting in multiple airlifts. Following September 11, 2001, the battalion deployed to the Military District of Washington in support of Operation Noble Eagle. There they provided security to the Pentagon.
In September 2002, the 984th MP Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay Cuba in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Soldiers provided security at the detention facilities and were involved in multiple air-bridge missions to Afghanistan. The company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Commendation.
In 2003, the 59th MP Company deployed to Baghdad, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The company was located at Camp Victory and conducted numerous patrols in the vicinity of the camp as both law enforcement and combat operations. The company redeployed in April 2004.
In January 2004, the Battalion deployed to Baghdad, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom II. Upon arrival into theater, the battalion was put in charge of numerous Iraqi Police stations on the east side of the Tigris River. The augmented battalion consisted of HHD, the 984th MP Company, the 630th MP Company, the 571st MP Company, the 272nd MP Company, the 415th MP Detachment (USAR), G Battery (1-258 FA) and C Battery ( 3-112 FA). Soldiers provided training to the Iraqi Police in areas of force protection, patrolling, and station operations.
In April 2004, the 984th Military Police Company closed down the Al-Hawza newspaper station that belonged to Al-Sadr for printing anti-coalition propaganda. As a result of that operation, Sadr's military force, the Mahdi Army, began attacking Iraqi Police Stations. Soldiers from the battalion began manning these stations 24 hours a day in effort to repel these attacks. By June 2004, most of the companies in the battalion were out of police stations and began conducting area security operation throughout the city.
In October 2004, the battalion jumped TOC to the Abu Ghraib Prison to support the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and First Cavalry Division in Fallujah. Soldiers from the 984th MP Company and 630th MP Company provided security to the major access roads into Fallujah, allowing freedom of movement for coalition forces. Here, several Soldiers were awarded Purple Hearts for wounds received on patrol. The battalion redeployed in January/February 2005 and was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation.
The Lone Sentinel Battalion once again was called upon to Iraq in Support of OIF 06-08 departing Fort Carson on 24 August 2006 and serving in Iraq until their redeployment on 12 November 2007. The 759th MP Battalion was the first MP Battalion to endure the 15 month deployment. Task Force Lone Sentinel consisted of 17 companies and over 2000 Soldiers that included Military Police, Infantry, and Field Artillery units.
Serving alongside the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2d Infantry Division, and the 2Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division in East Baghdad, the 759th oversaw the equipping and training of the Iraqi Police in over 60 Iraqi Police Stations there and elements of 759th also served in Kalsu, Babil, Iskandaria, Diwaniyah, and Al Kut. The Task Force logged over 1,000,000 miles on the road and conducted over 60,000 combat patrols during their combat service in Iraq. The 984th MP Company deployed in September 2006 remaining deployed until December 2007 serving in the Quadasiyah and Wassit Provinces south of Baghdad. In July 2007, the 59th Military Police Company deployed as a part of the infamous US Forces "Surge" effort, serving with Task Force Lone Sentinel until the Battalion Colors redeployed in November 2007. The 59th "Warriors" MP Company served in the Salman Pak and Nahrwan Districts of South East Baghdad.
While deployed, the Battalion Family Readiness Group (compromised of the Battalion Steering Committee and the respective company FRGs) along with the elements remained behind at Fort Carson, continued to demonstrate great resolve, by leading the way in the Fort Carson Community with enormous participation in installation events, volunteer hours supporting the unit and the community, and in their efforts as a self reliant and motivated group of Army Families, Spouses, Soldiers, parents and loved ones. The unit established a battalion CARE Team to oversee the response and assistance needed to support families of lost or severely wounded Lone Sentinel Soldiers. The 759th MP Battalion established a Virtual FRG Site on the Internet enabling Family and Friends from all over the world to stay up to date on all of the activities and news happening in Task Force Lone Sentinel and within the battalion remaining at home station. The FRG made enormous strides in connecting National Guard, CONUS, and OCONUS based units with the unit and its membership. The 759th MP Battalion initiated the "Lone sentinel University" for the first time, making a concerted effort to ensure Soldiers and Families were properly re-integrated after separation of over 15 months. The training included education for Spouses, Soldiers, and for Lone Sentinel children.
The HHD Redeployed on 12 November 2007 (Veteran's Day) and the 984th MP Company returned on 14/15 December 2007, just in time for the Christmas Holiday. OIF 06-08 was a textbook demonstration of the integration of Soldier, Family, and Unit in a unified manner to support all within the Lone Sentinel Family. Continual training, communication exercises, and updating of Family Alert procedures were instrumental in the overall success of the deployment both forward and in the rear.
The 759th Military Police Battalion remains one of the premier Military Police Battalions of the United States Army. Stationed at the "Mountain Post" of Fort Carson, Colorado it has a reputation as a "unit of choice" and is constantly called upon by the installation and the Army for the most demanding and important of missions. The Soldiers and Families take great pride in their symbolic requirement to "Hold the Gate" and the enormous responsibility associated with being a "Lone Sentinel."
Today, the 759th Military Police Battalion "Lone Sentinel" consists of the HHD, 148th Military Police Detachment, 59th Military Police Company, 110th Military Police Company, the 984th Military Police Company, the 127th Military Police Company and a long line of dedicated Volunteers, Family Members, Department of the Army Civilian Police, and enormously dedicated friends of the command.