Q:If I am a DOD ID card holder will I need to complete this background check?
A: No. If you are a DOD ID card holder, you will be granted access.

Q: If I am a CAC or DOD ID card holder, will I be able to escort people on post if they are in my vehicle? Will those I am escorting be required to show ID at the gates?
A: DOD CAC and ID card holders can escort Non-DOD ID card holders onto the installation. All vehicle occupants 18 years or older will need to be in possession of a state or federally issued photo ID. When the Trusted Traveler Program is in effect, uniformed service members and spouses, DOD employees, and retired uniformed service members and spouses can escort guests without the guest having to show ID. Note: Personnel with a Fort Carson access badge or pass cannot escort non ID card holders.

Q: If I am a DOD ID card holder and I forget my ID on post will I be required to complete this check?
A: Yes. DOD ID card holders who are not in possession of their ID must do one of two things; either contact somebody in your organization to bring you the ID, or process through the VCC.

Q: If I am a military member or spouse will I be able to sponsor an individual to obtain a pass for reasons like at-home child care, therapists, visiting family, babysitters, house cleaners, etc. If so what will the process be?
A: Yes. The sponsor will have to complete the FC Form 2036-E found on the Fort Carson portal. Once the form is digitally signed, the sponsored individual will take it to the VCC to complete NCIC checks and have a pass or badge issued.

Q: What documents are required to request the National Criminal Information Center (NCIC) check?
A: A valid U.S. or state issued photo ID, or U.S. passport is required for access, and to show for identity proof. If the individual is driving a vehicle, it must be a valid driver’s license with current registration and insurance for the vehicle being driven on the installation.

Q: When is the Visitor Control Center open?
A: The Gate 1 Visitor Control Center (VCC) is open from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week. The Gate 3 Visitor Control Center (for one time access – no passes or badges issued) is open 24/7.

Q: Our agency cannot digitally sign the FC FM 2036 as required. What do we do?
A: Contact the Security and Access Control Division at 526-5543.

Q: How long is this pass good for?
A: A visitor pass can be issued from one day (24-hour period from date/time of issue) up to 90 days depending on the type of request and sponsorship. An installation access badge will be issued for lengths of 91-365 days, depending on individual access needs/requirements.

Q: Do I have to do this every year for all my employees?
A: Yes. Every time a pass or badge is renewed the employee/visitor will go through the complete request process.

Q: Why can’t I use a passport?
A: You may use a valid U.S. passport for identify proofing at the VCC for the NCIC check; however, if you are driving, you will also be required to provide a valid driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance.

Q: What is the estimated time to complete these checks?
A: Current times are estimated to be 5-7 minutes for background checks and approx. 2-3 minutes to print and issue a pass or badge. These times are after your number is called and you sit down with a clerk. Overall wait times will vary based on the number of customers at the Visitor Control Center.

Q: What if I ride the bus and the other passengers don’t have an ID?
A: The bus driver will be responsible for ensuring that the Non DOD ID riders do not exit the bus while it is on the installation.

Q: What do I do if I’m sponsoring a large event on post?
A: Organizations who are sponsoring large events on post may submit a memorandum through the DES Security and Access Control Division to the garrison commander requesting a “Special Event” waiver. This memorandum needs to include a risk assessment of allowing non-DoD ID card holders unvetted installation access, and what mitigating measures the sponsoring organization is going to do to minimize these risks. The request should be submitted no later than 14 days prior to the event so it can go through the review and staffing process.

Q: If my employee is denied due to an unfavorable NCIC check, how can I get them access?
A: You may use the denial waiver process to request access for an employee that is denied due to derogatory information found during the NCIC background checks.

Q: What derogatory information can deny me entry onto Fort Carson?
A: If the NCIC check finds any of the following information you will be denied entry onto Fort Carson:

  • The NCIC-III check contains criminal information about the individual that causes the senior commander to determine that the individual presents a potential threat to the good order, discipline, or health and safety of the installation.
  • The installation is unable to verify the individual’s claimed identify based on the reasonable belief that the individual has submitted fraudulent information concerning his or her identity in the attempt to gain access.
  • The individual has a current arrest warrant in NCIC, regardless of the offense or violation.
  • The individual is currently barred from entry or access to a federal installation or facility.
  • The individual has been convicted of crimes encompassing sexual assault, armed robbery, rape, child molestation, production or possession of child pornography, trafficking in humans, drug possession with intent to sell or drug distribution.
  • The individual has a U.S. conviction of espionage, sabotage, treason, terrorism or murder.
  • The individual is a registered sex offender.
  • The individual has been convicted of a felony within the past 10 years, regardless of the offense or violation.
  • The individual has been convicted of a felony firearms or explosives violation.
  • The individual has engaged in acts or activities designed to overthrow the U.S. government by force.
  • The individual is identified in the Terrorist Screening Data Base (TSDB) as a known to be or suspected of being a terrorist or belonging to an organization with known links to terrorism or support of terrorist activity.
  • Q: How does the Department of Homeland Security’s REAL ID Act impact access onto Fort Carson?
    A: In accordance with the DHS REAL ID Act, Fort Carson can only accept identification from those states and territories who have been approved, or have an approved waiver, to the act. For an up to date list of those states, visit If you have an ID from a state or territory which does not have an approved waiver, the acceptable secondary forms of ID are: U.S. passport or U.S. passport card, Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551), foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551) printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa, employment authorization document that contains a photograph (Form I-766), A foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the person's nonimmigrant status, as long as the endorsement has not yet expired, school ID with photograph, U.S military or draft record, U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Cards, Transportation worker ID card (TWIC), Native American Tribal Document. Personnel who do not have an accepted form of secondary ID will be required to have an escort to enter Fort Carson.

    NOTE: If you have any additional questions not covered here, contact us at: