Personnel Processing Branch Army Garrison Logo

DD Form 214 Information Sheet

It is extremely important that you read this information and keep it in a safe place for future reference.

Your DD Form 214 is a very important document; it is your only official proof of service. You will present this form as proof of service for future employers, schools, Veterans Administration, and other agencies. Never give your original DD Form 214 to anyone!

If you lose your DD Form 214, you will have to write to the archives in St. Louis, MO to request a copy, which could take up to (4) years. Visit the following web site for more information on requesting a copy of your DD Form 214 or

If you are in need of a correction to your Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214), you must submit a written request for a correction (DD Form 215). Your request needs to provide details about the items you believe to be in error including copies of documentation that supports the changes.

Discharge/Retired Soldiers & Reserve Soldiers: Send your request to:

  • Army Review Boards Agency
  • Army Board for Correction of Military Records
  • 1901 South Bell Street, 2nd Floor
  • Arlington, VA 22202-4508

Customer Service Information Line: 703-607-1600

Although the Communications Hub Office receives all requests, the actual corrections for Discharge or Retired Soldiers are processed by the Veterans Support Branch and the Reserves are processed by the Regional Soldier Support Centers (RSSC) Directorate.

If necessary, individual Soldiers also have the option of applying to the Army Board of Correction of Military Records (ABCMR) to have the DD Form 214 corrected. However, you must first exhaust all the administrative means available. For further information on the ABCMR visit their web site at

Website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214 online:

Click here to view a DD Form 214 Checklist.