The Best Hometown in the Army - Home of America's Best!

Visit: https://health.mil/TakeCommand or https://tricare.mil/changes Provides up to date information on upcoming TRICARE and NDAA Changes you need to be aware of.

Upcoming TRICARE Improvements include:

  • Consolidation to two TRICARE regions (West and East)
  • TRICARE Standard and TRICARE Extra combining to TRICARE Select
  • Increased access to mental health and substance use disorder (SUD) programs (for Family members/retirees)
  • Lower out-of-pocket costs (See enrollment fees and co-pays at Tricare.mil/changes or https://health.mil/takecommand)
  • 2018 is an open enrollment year to select TRICARE Benefit
  • Enrollment periods beginning in 2019
  • Fiscal year calendar changing to calendar year

There will be an enrollment freeze in December 2017 for TRICARE Prime enrollments, and Primary Care Manager (PCM) changes will be delayed during the transfer of files to new regional contractors.

How can I prepare for upcoming changes?

  • Sign up for a DOD Self Service (DS) log-on. Having a DS log-on lets you log in to a number of important TRICARE secure sites. To register go to: https://myaccess.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement/
    • You can use your DS logon to get to some IMPORTANT WEB SITES:
      • View eligibility and enrollment status, read correspondence, get proof of coverage – via milConnect at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/
      • View healthcare authorizations, as well as TRICARE claims and explanation of benefits (EOBs) on the regional contractors’ web sites. Starting Jan. 1, 2018, the regional contractor will no longer send you paper copies of authorizations or EOBs. You have to go online to view these documents on the regional contractor’s secure portal at: West Region: http://www.tricare-west.com (register on or after Jan. 1, 2018)
      • Manage pharmacy home delivery, with prescription email notices at https://www.express-scripts.com/TRICARE/index.shtml
    • MilConnect
      • Register for a milConnect account. Sponsors have to register their Family members. Users can see their Primary Care Manager’s name, obtain proof of coverage, update personal contact information, and view enrollment and disenrollment letters.
      • milConnect shows what’s in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

Confirm all your information before Jan. 1, 2018
  • Make sure each person’s enrollment status in DEERS is correct.
  • Make sure addresses are correct. Where you live affects your TRICARE plan options (Select versus Prime versus Prime Remote).
  • Make sure email addresses are correct. DEERS sends emails telling you to check milConnect for important notices, for example PCM changes, disenrollment letters.

To learn how to check DEERS records or update contact information, visit the nearest uniformed services ID card facility (https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/) or go to or call the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at 1-800-538-9552.

Are authorization rules changing with TRICARE changes starting Jan. 1, 2018?

The following captures some of the changes in preauthorization requirements. On or after Jan. 1, 2018, call your regional contractor for questions about referrals and preauthorization or visit www.tricare.mil/contactus. Always check to make sure you have an authorization before you set up an appointment.

  • TRICARE has certain services that require preauthorization, regardless of what program you are in (Prime/Prime Remote, Select, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve, TRICARE Young Adult, CHCBP)
  • The contractor may identify other services that require preauthorization. These may differ between regions. Contact the regional contractor or visit their website starting Jan. 1, 2018, to get a listing of regional authorization requirements. (For contact and web site information go to www.TRICARE.mil/contactus)
  • Your authorization tells you the provider’s name, the types of service, the number of visits, and the start and end dates. If you want to change your provider, you have to contact your regional contractor.
  • As of Jan. 1, 2018, you have to go online to check on the status of your authorization determination. You won’t be getting authorization notices in the mail. You have to register for a secure account through your regional contractor.

How do I transfer enrollment/premium payments to the new West Region contractor?
You MUST update your payment information with the new regional contractor. This applies if you pay Prime enrollment fees, or TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve, or TRICARE Young Adult premiums by credit card, or electronic funds transfer (EFT) from your checking or savings account. If you pay by allotment, you don’t need to do anything. The contractor will work with Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS) to transfer your payment.

On or after 21 November 2017:
Visit: http://www.tricare-west.com
Call: 1-844-866-WEST (9378)

Before 20 November 2017
For West Region support and information before Jan. 1, 2018:
Visit www.uhcmilitarywest.com
Call 1-877-988-WEST (9378)

Take Command Checklist
Take Command