FRG


This page last modified





CONTACT US

In the late 1930’s, Troop A became partially mechanized and in 1942 the 6th Cavalry turned in the remainder of its horses and became Troop A, 6th Cavalry, Mechanized. In January 1944, the regiment was broken up and reorganized. Troop A, taking advantage of the power of its communications equipment and the speed of its vehicles, went to work for the Third Army Commander, Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Jr., where they were used to maintain contact with his far flung forces. They became known affectionately as “Patton’s Household Cavalry.’

The Troop was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (Army), the highest U.S. unit decoration, for its actions at the Harlange Pocket in 1945. When hostilities ceased, the unit performed occupation duties in Germany. In 1946 they were converted to constabulary units, becoming the 6th Constabulary Regiment.

On 20 December 1948, the elements of the former 6th Cavalry Regiment were reorganized and redesignated as the 6th Armored Cavalry. The Fighting Sixth ended its tour in Germany in 1957 when it returned to the United States during operation Gyroscope, and was stationed at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The entire regiment was inactivated in 1963, but Troop A was reactivated only four years later at Fort Meade, Maryland. Troop A was officially redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 1st Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment and assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort hood, Texas in 1973. It was later relieved from the division and reorganized as an aviation unit under the 6th Cavalry Brigade.

On 17 January 1985, 1st Squadron was again reactivated as one of the pioneer AH-64 Apache units in the Army. The squadron served as a leader in doctrinal development and validation for the AH-64 until its inactivation on 15 December 1995 at Fort Hood, Texas. The unit was once again reactivated on 16 July 1996 at Camp Eagle, Korea, where the “Fighting Sixth” squadron remained a combat multiplier to the combatant commander United States Forces Korea and a major deterrent to North Korea aggression in the defense of the Republic of Korea. In January of 2004, 1st Squadron colors were cased in Korea and three months later were uncased in Fort Hood, Texas where the Squadron attended the Unit Fielding and Training Program (UFTP) for the AH64D Longbow. On 10 May 2005 the Squadron was once again deactivated.