SFL TAP’s interactive, multimedia computer based training system, TAP XXI, provides you with
transition information and job assistance training to start you on your way to a satisfying
and successful future. TAP XXI uses full-screen, full-motion video, graphics, audio and
customized applications. It's easy and fun to use. SFL TAP counselors help transitioning
soldiers complete resumes, job applications and Federal job application materials, as well
as assisting with job searches.
SFL TAP is a congressionally mandated program that was established in 1991. According to the
National Defense Authorization Act, Public Law 102-510 (1995), as amended by Public Law
107-103 (2001), all transitioning soldiers with 180 days active duty must attend a
pre-separation briefing at least 90 days prior to separation. Contact your SFL TAP Center
to schedule an introduction to TAP XXI's features and benefits.
Our Career Counselors
We are staffed with highly qualified career counselors and two certified financial
counselors. All possess a minimum of a Master's Degree and one possesses a Ph.D. Their
job is to assist soldiers and other eligible personnel transitioning from military to
civilian life. Our counselors have numerous years of combined experience in assisting
soldiers to successfully transition from military to civilian life.
TAP XXI Pre-Separation Briefing and Initial Counseling
The Pre-Separation Briefing supports many benefits that the Army offers to transitioning
soldiers including relocation assistance, employment assistance, financial management
assistance, health and life insurance, and reserve affiliation.
A career counselor assists transitioning soldiers in initiating the mandatory eForm. The
eForm can also be used by the soldier as confirmation for utilizing SFL TAP services at
any SFL TAP installation close to the transitioning soldier's relocation address.
At the briefing you work with an SFL TAP counselor and have an opportunity to setup an
individual career counseling session. You will also receive a referral sheet. The
Service Provider Referral Information Sheet provides you with points of contact and
phone numbers of valuable resources on post and the Colorado Springs area.
The completed electronically signed eForm is a mandatory document which is required to
clear SFL – TAP and at the soldier’s final out-processing appointment.
The soldier can obtain this document by attending the ITP Review class.
TAP XXI Interactive Job Assistance Training Application
- Helps you design and manage your transition plan.
- Lets you set objectives and assess your skills.
- Includes many electronic job search tools, including access to the Internet.
- Helps you write effective resumes and cover letters.
- Explains how to network for job opportunities.
- Provides interview strategies.
- Prepares you to negotiate salary and benefits.
- Trains you to manage a career and prepare for advancement.
- Provides an excellent foundation for a winning career in the civilian world.
- Saves you time and guides your success.
- Reduces stress associated with transitioning and the job search process.
- Promotes and increases self-confidence.
- Helps you retain transition information and job assistance training better and
Considering Leaving the Army? Ready to Retire? Planning to ETS? Chapter status?
- SFL TAP is a congressionally mandated program through Chapter 58, United States Code,
Sections 1142, 1143, 1143a, and 1144.
- Retiring Soldiers can initiate the SFL TAP process two years from their proposed
- Soldiers ETSing can initiate the SFL TAP process one year from their separation date.
- Soldiers who are being chaptered or medically boarded from the service must call the
SFL TAP Center as soon as possible.
- Annex I, FCCO TAP Transition Concept, 11-0920, requires Soldiers separating for any
reason to complete Preseparation Counseling 12 months before separation; an individual
transition plan 10 months before separation; the Department of Labor TAP Employment
Workshop 9 months before separation; the VA Benefits Briefing 6 months before
separation; and resumes of choice 5 months before separation.
Upon the initial contact, we will obtain information that allows us to enroll you in the SFL
TAP system. This procedure allows you to schedule appointments, attend workshops, utilize
the computer, and receive one-on-one sessions with your assigned counselor.
Clearing SFL TAP
We do not make appointments to clear. We have specific clearing times only. SFL TAP
Center Bldg 6237, Rm 104 Monday - Friday 9:00am - 3:00pm.
Pre-separation Briefings are held in the main SFL-TAP Center, building 6237, room 104. Call to schedule and obtain directions or stop by to pick up instructions on how to complete this briefing online.
Mandatory SFL-TAP classes include: Transition Overview, MOS Crosswalk, Financial Planning, DOL Employment Workshop and VA Benefits & Services. There are also elective classes, such as Federal Resume Writing, Advanced Resume Writing, Interview Techniques and Dress for Success and optional two-day tracks (Entrepreneurship, Technical and Higher Education). Stop by the SFL-TAP Center to pick up a calendar of all available classes.
SFL-TAP hosts multiple monthly smaller hiring events (20 employers) at our center and two to three larger hiring events (85-200 employers) throughout the year. We also host monthly Transition Resource Fairs and Career Skills Program Information Sessions. Stop by the SFL-TAP Center to pick up a calendar with all our scheduled events.
Hours of operation: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 4:00pm. (We are closed on all Federal Holidays
and OPEN on Training Holidays.)