Welcome to DHR


The mission of the Directorate of Human Resources is to provide human resource support and services providing a quality of life for Soldiers, Family Members and Civilians commensurate with their service.


Contact Information
Office (Bldg 1218 Ft. Carson, CO 80913) Phone
Management Support Specialist 719-526-4312
Plans & Operations 719-526-4045
Information Management Officer (Computer Technician) 719-526-5826

Administrative Services Division

  • Army Records Information Management System (ARIMS)

    Records Management Course

    Please contact the Records Manager at 719-526-4458 for information on scheduling ARIMS classes. The course is held in Bldg 1218, Room 202. The course includes information on ARIMS, Privacy Act, Records Management, and Publications. You will need your CAC for the course. Please make sure your CAC card is registered for Fort Carson and all certificates are working. If you do not have a Fort Carson NIPR account you will need to request one before class at https://nec.carson.army.mil/accounts/request-type.aspx.

    Any questions please call the number above to contact the Ft. Carson Records Manager.

    Responsibilites of Records Coordinator

    1. Act as the staff office/directorate liaison official with the Installation Records Manager for managing your ARIMS Records Program
    2. Ensure there is a viable and effective records management program within your organization by appointing Action Officers to maintain Office Records Lists for your UIC and each separate Office Symbol.
    3. Ensure all records are identified for inclusion on the Office Symbol ORL.
    4. Ensure each activity under your Unit Identification Code (UIC) and Office Symbol has an Office Records List (ORL) that captures all "Transfer" or "T" records according to the Records Retention Schedule (RRS) in ARIMS.
    5. Ensure an Office Record List is prepared by each Action Officer who maintains Records within an established Office Symbol and UIC.
    6. Ensure that all Office Records List are updated every year.
    7. Ensure files and filing equipment are properly labeled and maintained to facilitate filing, searching and disposition of records. This includes paper, film and electronic records.
    8. Ensure all "T" records requiring transfer to the Records Holding Area (RHA) are transferred IAW the record numbers disposition instructions on the Office Records List for the established Office Symbol and UIC.
    9. Ensure SF Form 135, Records Transmittals and Receipt, is submitted tb the Installation Records Manager prior to transferring records to the RHA.
    10. Provide ARIMS records training to subordinate offices and individual users. www.arims.army.mil
    11. Perform a records self-inspection using the checklist provided by the Installation Records Manager once a year.

    Appointment Letter

    Action Officer

    1. Action Officer (AO) must be registered in ARIMS.
    2. AO must complete the ARIMS on line training. ARIMS web site is www.arims.army.mil
    3. An AO is an individual who creates an Office Records List on behalf of the Army. The AO can also create folders to print labels.
    4. An AO has the capability and requirement to create an Office Records List for his/her Office/Unit.
    5. AO searches the Army’s Office Records Retention Schedule – Army(RRS-A) to help determine all applicable Record Numbers required for their mission.
    6. Submits records to the Army Electronic Archives (AEA) or the Fort Carson Records Holding Area through their Unit’s Records Coordinator/Action Officer.
    7. Use Basic Search for records information.

    Records Holding Area

    Procedures to transfer records to the Records Holding Area

    1. Please call the Records Manager for Ft. Carson or email for information on the SF 135 to transfer records to the records holding area.
    2. Records/shipping boxes can be bought from Envision – NSN 8115-00-117-8249.
    3. The Fort Carson Records Manager will call you for an appointment to deliver your boxes to the Records Holding Area. The Records Holding Area is in the back of the NEC Bldg 1550 at the back dock.
    4. The records should be in sequence in the box IAW your SF135. Upper left of the front of the box you must put FC Label 10-E. FC Label 10-E is on the sharepoint site. This link is only for Ft. Carson users only.
    5. SF 135 on line at http://www.apd.army.mil/
    6. All folders are required to have the disposition and bar code label affixed to the individual folders.
    7. Also, the disposition label and bar code label must be on the outside of the shipping box (in center of box under handle).
    8. If you have any questions call the Records Manager Officer at 719-526-4458.

    Electronic Records

    Identifying and Managing Records in Electronic Systems

    Electronic records may include data in automated information systems (data files, data bases), files created using automated office application software (Word, Excel, etc), electronic mail and messages, image (bit-mapped) files and other text or numeric information. Electronic record keeping involves the use of a computer to create, store, retrieve, use and dispose of digitally recorded information.

    Measures should be taken to ensure that all records which originate or are transmitted through an automated information system, automated office application, electronic mail system, etc, are identified, retained, and managed properly. Records should be readily available and accessible to all authorized users when they need them. This means that the identity, purpose, and location of records are predictable, consistent, and reliable; methods for access and retrieval are simple and well defined; and records management practices are incorporated into day-to-day business activities.

    An electronic record created or received in connection with official business, is a record that is subject to access, privacy and records management laws and regulations and retention requirements. An official record is information recorded on any medium created or received by an agency in the transaction of public business, and preserved as evidence of official government organization, policies, actions, decisions or transactions, or retained because of the value of its informational content.

    Therefore, electronically recorded information that meets both of the following conditions are Federal records:

    • They are made or received by an agency of the US Government under Federal law or in connection with the transaction of public business
    • They serve as evidence of agency activities because of the value of the information they contain.

    As such, electronic records, just like records on any other media, must be identified, accessible, and retained. Examples of information created or transmitted electronically that are most probably records include:

    • Policies and directives
    • Correspondence or memoranda related to official business
    • Work schedules and assignments
    • Agendas and minutes of meetings
    • Drafts of documents that are circulated for comment or approval
    • A document that initiates, authorizes or completes a business transaction
    • Final reports or recommendations

    The definition of official records specifically excludes extra copies of documents used for convenience or reference, library and museum material preserved for reference or exhibition purposes, and stocks of publications or blank forms. So long as one copy of an electronic record has been set aside or designated for preservation according to the Army Records Schedule, all other copies of that record may be disposed of when no longer needed for business. Records management procedures designate the originating office as having the responsibility to preserve the record.

    Examples of other information created or transmitted electronically that are not identified as record material in the Army Records Schedules include:

    • Personal messages and announcements not related to official business
    • Copies or extracts of documents distributed for convenience or reference
    • Phone message slips
    • Announcements of social event, such as retirement parties or holiday celebrations
    Electronic Mail

    Electronic mail (e-mail) is the electronic transfer of information typically in the form of electronic messages, memoranda, and attached documents from one party to another party via an intermediate telecommunications system. E-mail messages consist of the message header and message contents. The header contains the mailing address, routing instructions, transmission and receipt data, and other information the system needs to deliver the e-mail correctly.

    Most e-mail systems allow the attachment of documents to messages, importing text from word processing systems, forwarding messages, and distribution to individuals as well as groups.

    E-mail messages are official records when they contain information identified as record material.

    Automated Information Systems

    Electronic records that are part of automated information systems must be managed also and fall under the same record keeping requirements as other electronic records. An information system is defined as the organized collection, processing, transmission, and dissemination of information in accordance with defined procedures, whether automated or manual.

    Establishing record keeping requirements for an information system requires, at a minimum, full and accurate documentation of the system: the functions supported by the system; the operational, legal, audit, oversight, or historical requirements for the information; how the information will be used, accessed, and maintained on each medium to meet these differing requirements; and the procedural controls employed to preserve the integrity of the data in the system. The National Archives considers all components of electronic information systems as records: input, output, digital data stored in a variety of ways, and the related documentation.

    Automated Office Applications

    The final version of records created using office application software must also be maintained for the length of time indicated on the approved Army schedule.

    Whether they are maintained in electronic or hard copy form is dependent on the record application and available electronic storage. For example, if this is a record that might become part of a case file that exists only in hard copy form, it would be logical to print out a copy and place it with the rest of the file. In this instance, the electronic copy would be deleted within a specified timeframe after the record keeping copy has been produced

    Image Files

    Image files would incur the same disposition as the hard copy from which it was derived. Normally, the hardcopy files are disposed of after verification that the image file is a true representation of the hardcopy file.

    Web Pages

    Web pages vary in content and sources. If the information contained and/or displayed on a web page qualifies as record material, then the owner or managing organization of that web page is responsible for ensuring the record information has a record copy identified and preserved according to the retention requirements in the Army Records Schedules.

  • Publications Stock Room


  • Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

    Reading Room

    Frequently Asked Questions
    What is the Freedom of Information Act? The FOIA is a Federal law that establishes the public's right to request existing records from Federal government agencies.
    Who can make a FOIA request? Any "person" can make a FOIA request, including US citizens, foreign nationals, organizations, universities/schools, businesses, and state and local governments.
    How do I submite a FOIA request? Send a written request describing the record(s) sought. Be as specific as possible and state your willingness to pay applicable fees. If you seek a fee waiver, provide a written justification. Describe the record(s) sought in enough detail (e.g. time, place, persons, events and subject) so that they can be located with a reasonable amount of effort. The information you provide will help in determining where to search and what records pertain to your request. Requests can be sent via mail, fax or email.
    FOIA/PA Officer
    719-526-2114 Fax: 719-526-3611
    1625 Ellis St., Bldg 1218 Room 101, Ft. Carson, CO 80913
    Where can I find the Department of the Army FOIA Handbook? The DA FOIA Handbook, "A Citizen's Guide to Request Army Records Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)", can be accessed online at https://www.rmda.belvoir.army.mil/.
    What is considered a record? A record is the product(s) of data compilation, such as all books, papers, maps and photographs, machine readable materials, inclusive of those in electronic form or format or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made or received by an agency of the United States Government under Federal law in connection with the transaction of public business and in the Department of Defense possession and control at the time the FOIA request is made.
    What are the reasons for not releasing a record?
    • A reasonable search failed to identify responsive records.
    • The records are not maintained at Fort Carson. The request was transferred to another DoD Component or to another Federal Agency.
    • The request is withdrawn by the requester.
    • The requester is unwilling to pay fees associated with the request, the requester is past due in the payment of fess from a previous FOIA request, or the requester disagrees with the fee estimate.
    • A record has not been described with sufficient particularity to locate it by conducting a reasonable search.
    • The information requested is not a record within the meaning of the FOIA.
    • The request is a duplicate request (e.g., a requester asks for the same information more than once). This includes identical requests received via different means (e.g., electronic mail, fax or mail) at the same or different times.
    • The record is denied whole or in part in accordance with procedures set forth in the FOIA.
    How is a record denied by the FOIA? Records (or portions of records) will be disclosed unless that disclosure harms an interest protected by one or more of the nine FOIA exemptions cited in the Act as 5 USC 552(b)(1) through (b)(9).
    What are the FOIA exemptions?
    • (b)(1) - Records currently and properly classified in the interest of national security.
    • (b)(2) - Records related solely to internal personnel rules and practices, which if released would allow circumvention of an agency function.
    • (b)(3) - Records protected by another law that specifically exempts the information from public release.
    • (b)(4) - Trade secrets and commercial or financial information obtained from a private source which would cause substantial competitive harm to the source if disclosed.
    • (b)(5) - Internal records that are deliberative in nature and are part of the decision making process that contain opinions and recommendation.
    • (b)(6) - Records which if released, would result in a clearly unwarranted invasion of person privacy.
    • (b)(7) - Investigatory records or information compiled for law enforcement purpose.
    • (b)(8) - Records for the use of any agency responsible for the regulation or supervision of financial institutions.
    • (b)(9) - Records containing geological and geophysical information (including maps concerning wells).
    How long will it take for my request to be processed?

    Requests are processed in order by date of receipt and according to their complexity. These are called easy and hard queuing tracks. An initial determination to release or deny a record is made within 20 working days after receipt of the request by the official who is designated to respond. However, due to the numerous requests received, some requests may not be answered within the time requirements. All requests are notified if there will be a delay.

    Under certain conditions, expedited access may be granted if there is a compelling need, such as a threat to life and safety, if a person engaged in disseminating information has an urgency to inform the public on actual or alleged Federal Government activity, an imminent loss of substantial due process rights or a humanitarian need.

    Will I have to pay a fee? The FOIA allows fees to be charged to certain types of requesters, but it also provides that waivers or reductions in fees be given if disclosing the information is in the public interest. Public interest is defined as information which significantly enhances the public's knowledge of the operations and activities of the Army. The FOIA requires that requesters be placed into one of the below categories:
    • Commercial Requesters who seek information for a use or purpose that furthers their commercial, trade or profit interest are considered commercial requesters. Commercial requesters pay all fees for search, review and duplication.
    • Educational Institutions of education, including preschools, elementary or secondary schools and institutions of higher learning, qualify as educational institutions. The records must be sought in furtherance of scholarly research. Educational requesters pay only duplication fees, unless it is determined that fees are waived or reduced in the public interest. The first 100 pages are provided at no cost.
    • Non-Commercial Scientific A non-commercial scientific institution is operated solely for conducting scientific research. The records must be sought in furtherance of scientific research. Like educational requesters, these requesters pay only duplication fees, unless it is determined that fees are waived or reduced in the public interest. The first 100 pages are provided at no cost.
    • News Media A representative of the news media is a person actively gathering news for an entity organized and operated to publish or broadcast news to the public. News media pay only duplication fees, unless it is determined that fees are waived or reduced in the public interest. The first 100 pages are provided at no cost.
    • "Other" Requesters who do not qualify in another category are considered "Other" requesters, and normally make requests for agency records for their personal use. "Other" requesters receive two hours search time, all review costs and the first 100 pages at no cost.
    How do you request a fee waiver? All requesters should submit a willingness to pay fees regardless of the fee category. However, this does not mean you will be charged fees. If the fees are $15 or less, those fees are waived. Also, except for commercial requesters whose fees total more than $15, requests for waivers are always considered. Fee waivers may be granted when disclosure of the records is in the public interest, because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government. Requests for fee waivers need to be submitted along with the FOIA request. The following factors are weighed in making a fee waiver determination:
    • The subject of the request.
    • The informative value of the information to be disclosed.
    • The contribution to an understanding of the subject by the general public likely to result from the disclosure.
    • The significance of the contribution to public understanding.
    • Disclosure of the information is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester.
    • The ability of the requester to disseminate the information.
  • Privacy Act

    Disclosure Information

    • Is it mandatory for an individual to provide the information only if the statute or executive order require it?
      • A regulation alone cannot mandate that the individual provide the information. If the statute or executive order provides a penalty for not providing the, then it is mandatory.
      • The Internal Revenue Code requires that certain personal information be provided and, if it is not, penalties are authorized.
      • Unless the statute or executive order makes it mandatory, then providing the information is voluntary.
    • The question of whether providing the information is mandatory or voluntary, is different from the question of whether there are nay effects of not providing the information.
      • The law may not require mandatory disclosure for individuals to apply for a, but not supplying certain minimal information might preclude the agency from providing the benefit.
    • The individual must be told what, if any, effects will accrue to him/her for failure to provide the requested information.
      • This allows the individual to make an informed decision as to whether or not to provide the information on the collection form or during an interview.
      • The wording of the statement must be drafted carefully to avoid misleading or appearing to coerce the individual.

    Managing Privacy Act Information

    Subject to the privacy act of 1974

    When not under the continuing control and supervision of a person authorized access to such material, it must be, as a minimum, maintained under locked condition.

    If you are responsible for creating, managing, or using Privacy Act information you should:

    1. Restrict access to those persons with a "need to know"?
      • Only those persons who need the records in performance of their mission may have access to the necessary information.
    2. All individuals have the right to access records maintained on themselves.
      • Third parties may be granted access to information only with the written authorization from the individual on whom the record is maintained.
    3. Data output on paper and in electronic formats must be protected
      • Paper records should be locked in a secure cabinet, desk, or office when not in use. When in use, record need to be covered with DA Label 87 or turned faced down if unauthorized personnel are present.
      • Access to data in electronic formats must also be controlled. Do not leave sensitive data on your computer screen when you are not at your desk. Apply a screen password. Change your password often and do not give out your password to anyone.
      • Sensitive information must be shredded. Do not put in the general recycle bins. Use the secure recycle program if no access to a shredder.
      • Disks, tapes and other media for storing Privacy Act data must be protected.
      • When your computer leaves your control, i.e. property turn-in, make sure all Privacy Act data is removed from the system.
      • When sending personal information through email make sure the subject line contains either "FOUO" or "Privacy Information Enclosed."

    Disclosure to Third Parties

    You cannot give out lists of names and/or email of DOD personnel.

    You can release individual information on the following:

    • Military Personnel
      • Name
      • Rank
      • Date of rank
      • Gross salary
      • Present and past duty assignments
      • Future assignments that are officially established
      • Office phone number
      • Source of commission
      • Promotion sequence number
      • Awards and decorations
      • Military and civilian education level
      • Duty status
    • Civilians
      • Name
      • Present and past position titles
      • Grade
      • Salary
      • Office phone number

    Requests for any other information on DOD personnel, to include lists, must be directed to the Freedom of Information (FOIA) and Privacy Acts (PA) Office for processing.

    When in doubt, do not release information. Direct the individual requesting the information to the FOIA/PA Office.

    Privacy, Your Role and Responsibility

    • Do not collect personal information that has not been authorized for collection.
    • Do not maintain illegal files; do not maintain inaccurate information.
    • Do not distribute or release personal information to individuals who do not have a need for access.
    • Do not send personal information over the email for fax or messages unless the documents is properly marked and alerts the reader to the necessary protections accorded such information.
    • Do not maintain records longer than permitted or destroy them before the records disposal requirements are met.
    • Do not place unauthorized documents in a records system.
    • Do not commingle information about individuals in the same file, since the Privacy Act does not have an exemption that protects the release of such information.
    • Ensure that you mark all documents that contain privacy information as "For Official Use Only".
    • Ensure that all messages, faxes, and emails that contain personal information are properly marked.
    • Respect privacy and remember the civil and criminal penalties associated with violating the Act.
    • Do not place information on the Internet the Internet is Privacy Act protected or which would not be released if requested under the Freedom of Information Act.
    • Do not entertain verbal requests, unless the information is releasable under the Freedom of Information Act.
    • Think Privacy before you seek to establish new data collections on your computer; fax personal information, etc.
  • Installation Forms & Publications

    Fort Carson Users Only!

    Assistance for all TM's, AR's, DoD, DA, CTA's, FM's, SBT's, Etc can be provided by the Fort Carson Publication Stock Room at 719-526-4458.

    For Non-Governmental Organizations and personnel who need to download, complete, and submit FC Form 2036-E to gain access to Fort Carson, see your Contracting Officer Representative or sponsor. All questions pertaining to this form can be answered through the Visitor Control Center at 526-2332.

    In the event that you do not have the access to obtain the form you are looking for please E-Mail Fort Carson Forms and Publications. State which publication you are looking for and it will be sent out as soon as humanly possible. Please insure you e-mail from a .Mil E-Mail account. Also, make the subject read: Publication Request

  • Official Mail and Distribution Center

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How do I contact the OMDC Supervisor?

    Commercial Phone: 719-526-4546
    Commercial Fax: 719-524-2033

    ATTN: Mail Supervisor
    1611 McDonald St. Bldg. 1519
    Ft. Carson, CO 80913-7000
    What are the Hours of Operation for the OMDC?

    Mon - Fri: 0730 - 1600
    Closed: All "FEDERAL" Holidays

    What regulations, DA Pam, policies and procedures govern official and personal mail?
    • DoD Postal Manual, 4525.8-M, 26 December 2001
    • DoD Instruction, 4525.8, 26 December 2001
    • DoD Postal Manual, 4525.6-M, 15 August 2002
    • Official Mail and Distribution Management, AR 25-51, 30 November 1992
    • Unit Postal Operations, AR 600-8-3, 28 December 1989
    • Mail Facility Security and Handling Suspicious Mail, DA Pam 25-52, 6 November 2001
    • Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), with USPS Postal Bulletins/Publications
    • Fort Carson Unit Mailroom (UMR) SOP, 06 January 2006
    • Fort Carson OMDC Mailroom External SOP, 28 March 2006
    What is Official Mail?

    Official mail is all mail that pertains exclusively to the business of the United States Government.

    What Special Services are offered?
    • Registered Mail: Outgoing Registered mail must be received by 1000 for same day service. All registered mail must be wrapped in brown paper and sealed with brown paper tape.
    • Certified Mail: Outgoing Certified mail must be received by 1530 for same day service.
    • USPS Express Mail: Outgoing Express mail must be received by 1500 for same day service. Express Mail is not available to all APO/FPO locations. Overnight service through Express Mail does not guaranteed next day delivery to all domestic locations. Contact the USPS for availability information at (719) 579-9614 or 9617.
    • FedEx: The OMDC Mailroom does not offer FedEx services. Contact the DOL Transportation Manager at (719) 526-8722 for FedEx service.
    When can Official Mail be searched?

    Official mail can be searched by the Installation Official Mail Manager before postage is applied to the mailing.

    What is the proper addressing for outgoing Official Mail?
    • The "DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY" is the first line of the return address.
    • All return addresses will possess ZIP + 4 values (80913-1234). Customers need to check with the OMDC Mailroom, Mail Supervisor for their proper address and ZIP + 4 values.
    • All address labels must be typed.
    • No rubber stamped or handwritten addresses are authorized.
    • Use only black or blue ink on address labels.
    • Use a single space between lines.
    • Addresses shall be limited from a minimum of three to a maximum of five lines
    Can we send awards through the OMDC?

    The only awards sent using appropriated funds are awards that are authorized to be place into an individual’s service record. Authorized awards can be sent to an individual’s home address. No plaques, trophies, pictures, or "pass-the-hat" awards are authorized to be sent through the OMDC Mailroom. Per SJA

    What do I do if I consider a mailing suspicious (potential biological/chemical or bomb threat)? Call 9-1-1
    What address do I use if I am being transferred to Fort Carson and I do not have an address yet?
    Rank full name
    Incoming personnel
    Unit name
    Fort Carson, CO 80913
    I am residing at the Colorado Inn, how do I receive my mail?
    Full name
    Colorado Inn
    1833 woodfill rd bldg 7301 room #______
    Fort Carson, CO 80913
    When is the unit mail service training course scheduled for unit mail clerks (UMC) and unit postal officers? The class is conducted monthly, please call 719-526-4546 to register. The location is in Bldg 1218, Room 202 from 0900 - 1200. Everyone must complete 20 days of OJT in their mailroom with the Primary UMC before attending the mail class.
    How do I become a mail orderly for my organization? The OMDC offers a Official Mail orderly brief at any time. For Unit Mail Orderly, the individual must attend training, 20 days OJT and be appointed in writing by Unit Commander.
    Who do I contact about my personal mail?

    If you are already assigned to an organization, then check with your Unit Mail Clerk. If you just arrived and have not in-processed through your unit, then check with the OMDC Mailroom. If you have sent out or expect to receive accountable (registered, certified, insured, signature confirmation) mail, please call the United States Postal Service at (719) 570-5454/53. Delivery Confirmation is not accountable mail therefore no one signs for this type of mail. You can only track it to the destination Post Office. The Post Office delivers it without signature.

    How long will the OMDC hold my mail?

    Personal mail that is addressed “Replacement Detachment” or “General Delivery” is held for 30 days. After 30 days the mail is returned to the sender if addressee’s address is still unknown. Accountable mail is held for the following periods before it is returned to the sender: Register, certified, signature confirmation, and insured is held for 15 days; USPS Express mail is held for 5 days.

    Will the OMDC sign for packages from a private carrier (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) sent to an individual?

    The OMDC will not sign for any private carrier packages addressed for an individual unless that individual receives direct mail service from the OMDC. Customers must use their own organization to receive private carrier mailings. All refused private carrier mailings must be handled by the addressee or individual who signed for the mail. They must coordinate with the private carrier for its return. The USPS does not redirect private carrier mail.

    How many UMCs and Unit Postal Officers are required per unit mailroom?

    At a minimum, two UMCs and two Unit Postal Officers are required IAW with DoD 4525.6-M Postal Manual.

    Where can I get a blank DD Form 285 card?

    This form can be retrieved at http://armypubs.army.mil/index.html.

    Where can I get other mail forms?

    All DA, SF, and DoD forms are requested through the Installation Publications Control Officer at 719-526-4458. All PS Forms can be requested through the OMDC.

    How often are UMRs inspected?

    The Unit Postal Officers shall inspect their perspective UMR at least monthly. The Installation Postal Officer shall inspect all UMRs at least quarterly.

    What is the difference between a UMC and a mail orderly?

    A UMC is authorized to handle all mail both accountable and unaccountable. A UMC is authorized to pick mail directly from the USPS. A mail orderly can only handle unaccountable mail received from the UMC. A mail orderly can only deliver unaccountable mail to the addressee.

    Who has unfettered access to the UMR?

    Only the Primary UMC.

    What grade does the Unit Postal Officer have to be?

    Both the primary and alternate Unit Postal Officers must be an E-6 or senior or civilian GS-06 or higher.

Army Substance Abuse Program

Our Mission is to sustain readiness and promote a healthy lifestyle in the Fort Carson community by providing education, quality assistance in order to reduce the impact of alcohol and other drug abuse that affects Soldiers, Families, Civilians Employees and Retirees. Our Vision is to reduce the negative impact of substance abuse at Fort Carson by providing quality Services.

Military Personnel, DOD Civilians and Retirees.

Guides, Regulations, etc.:

  • Drug Testing / Collection

    Collection Point Fort Carson CO, our responsibilities are to train Commander’s selected NCO’s to become Unit Prevention Leaders (UPL) so that they can effectively conduct substance abuse prevention activities in their Units. Each Unit is required to have a Certified Primary and an Alternate Unit Prevention Leader (UPL), certification is good for 18 months and it’s a requirement to maintain their certification in order to collect samples.

    Collection Point is also responsible for the collection and performance of quality assurance of each specimen that arrives at our office, Quality Assurance is performed to maintain the integrity of each specimen collected, make sure the proper Testing Code was used for a particular test, and that Chain of Custody is maintained at all times in accordance with AR 600-85.

    Upcoming training dates and application form

  • Employee Assistance Program

    The FT. Carson Employee Assistance Program is a free service available to Department of Army Civilian Employees, active duty-spouse and family members, and retired military and eligible family members. The program offers short-term screening, intervention and referral services, crisis intervention, worksite intervention, consultation services, a wide variety of trainings, and reintegration assistance.

    Professional Services

    • The EAP is a professional service that provides assistance with adult living problems, counseling, resource identification, referral, and follow-up services.
    • The EAP assists employees, supervisors, and managers with issues related to productivity, morale, motivation, communication, conflict, and mediation.
    • The EAP provides consultation services, prevention education and training, worksite interventions and assists with such issues as grief and loss, the drugfree workplace, workplace violence, and suicide.
    • The EAP is the point-of-contact for Hospital’s Impaired Health-Care Personnel Program and assists with screening, referral to treatment, and return to duty.
    • The EAP provides continuing education and training to health care providers. The program offers CME, CNE, for continuing education.

    Online Resources

    EAP Newsletters
    Useful Links
    Workplace Violence Prevention & Response Training
    Regulations and Guidance
  • Prevention

    Unit Prevention Leader

    Unit Prevention Leader (UPL) Certification – A 40 hour course designated to certify newly appointed UPLs.

    UPL Packets must be complete and submitted to Prevention (rooms 220, and 223) NLT two weeks prior to the class starting date. Walk-ins on the first day of the course will not be accepted, even with a completed packet. UPL packets that are incomplete will be returned to the unit and the UPL nominee will not be scheduled for the class until a complete packet is turned in.

    UPL Re-Certification – UPL certifications are good for 18 months and UPLs must re-certify within 60 days or will be required to retake the full certification course. UPLs may call 719-526-8407 or 719-526-3395 at any time to schedule their recertification exam. The UPL must bring a new set of appointment orders, a newly completed PMO background check and their current UPL card. Any UPL who is a new arrival to Fort Carson must recertify here before conducting any testing. That UPL must bring an entire packet (orders, background check, privacy act statement, competency statement and a unit SOP) as well as proof of certification from the previous post (the certificate and UPL card).

    UPLs returning from deployment, whose certification expired during deployment and the expiration date exceeds 60 days will be required to repeat the 40 hours certification course. Otherwise, they may recertify as indicated above.

    UPL Deployment Shipping – Designated to provide UPLs information on deployment testing procedures to include document preparation, packing, shipping, and the results notification process. All UPLs deploying to areas where drug testing is mandated must attend this training prior to deployment. Training is also suggested for UPLs participating in extended field training exercises where unit may wish to conduct drug testing.

    If you have any question(s) about any of the above listed training please call the Prevention Coordinator at any of the phone numbers listed above.

  • Risk Reduction

    Ft. Carson Installation Prevention Plan

    The Risk Reduction Program (RRP) is a commander’s tool designed to identify and reduce Soldiers’ high-risk behaviors. The RRP focuses on effective use of installation resources and a coordinated effort between commanders and installation agencies to implement intervention and prevention programs. The RRP supports the Army’s well-being program initiatives by integrating prevention and intervention programs into a framework contributing to performance, readiness, and retention. The RRP also allows commanders to compare their units against others to determine if their units require command and/or other interventions.

    Objectives of the RRP

    Increase unit readiness by providing systematic prevention, intervention methods and materials to commanders to eliminate or mitigate individual high-risk behaviors.

    Risk reduction accomplishes this through:

    • Data Collection, analyses and reporting to Commanders.
    • Conduct anonymous URI and R-URI surveys
    • URI: Commanders will administer the Unit Risk Inventory (URI) to all deploying Soldiers at least 30 days before an operational deployment. Incoming commanders should consider this a necessary action during their change of command.
    • R-URI: Commanders will administer the R-URI to redeploying Soldiers between 90 and 180 days of their return from deployment.

    What it is...

    • Tool to maximize responsiveness to leaders.
    • Tool to maximize resources available.
    • Tool to minimize tragic high-risk behaviors
    • Tool to improve outcomes: Health, Safety & Deployability.
  • Suicide Prevention

    Mission and Goals

    • Reduce the number and rate of suicides.
    • Advocate of a multidisciplinary approach to suicide prevention.
    • Provide assistance and guidance to organizations and individuals administering various components of the SPP.
    • Identify factors contributing to the incidence of suicide and develop a response to reduce the impact of such factors.

    Helpful Links

  • Counseling / Treatment

    SUDCC clinical provides Drug and alcohol Evaluations, Individual and Group counseling, Education groups, Intensive Outpatient Treatment, Medication Consultation and Management, Evaluation for Detox and Inpatient Treatment.

    Note: On 1 October 2016, ASAP transitioned all counseling/treatment services to MEDCOM. The Substance Use Disorder Clinical Care (SUDCC) counselors are now in BLDG 1056, O´Connell Blvd.

Army Continuing Education System (ACES)

  • About us

    The Fort Carson Education Center is located at the corner of Specker Avenue and O’Connell Boulevard in building 1012. Please go to reception in room 138 to get started.

    Hours of Operation

    Reception/Administration Office (room 138): Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Closed Wednesdays) Army Education Counselors available Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Fridays from 1-3:30 p.m.; by appointment only Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon Computer Lab (room 103): Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    **Call 719-526-2124 for additional information**

    *First-time college attendees assigned to the Fort Carson Education Center must attend the "College 101" briefing before using TA. Choose a 1-hour session: Tuesday or Thursday from 8:30-9:30 a.m. in the Education Center, building 1012, room 138.

    GI Bill briefing is held Thursdays from 10-11 a.m. Visit room 138 at least 15 minutes prior to sign-in.

    First Duty-Station "Soldier for Life" In-Processing Brief: Friday, 10 a.m. to noon.

    Separation Briefing Information: (Report to room 138 at least 15 minutes prior clearing documents and orders) ETS, Retirement and Med Board Briefs are held Mondays and Fridays at 8:30 a.m. and Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays at 2 p.m. Chapters: please schedule a one-on-one session with a counselor on Mondays, Tuesdays or Thursdays between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. or Fridays between 1 and 3:30 p.m.

    Questions? Commercial: 719-526-2124 DSN: 691-2124 Fax: 719-526-8071 or email us at:usarmy.carson.imcom-central.mbx.dhr-esd-aces@mail.mil You may also visit our Fort Carson GoArmyEd website for additional information and flyers.

  • Services

    The Fort Carson Education Center provides educational support to all active-duty and AGR Soldiers (on orders), Family members and DA civilians in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Utah. Please note: Fort Carson Education Center staff cannot visit units outside of the Colorado Springs area. Please contact 719-526-2124/DSN: 691-2124 to schedule conference calls/online sessions in advance.

    Education services for active-duty Soldiers Include:

    • Education counseling (federal tuition assistance)
    • 50 station CAC-enabled computer lab with scanners
    • Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP/GT Prep)
    • Testing (APT and DANTES-Funded)
    • On-post college courses
    • In-state tuition certification
    • TriO (Assistance with financial aid and scholarships)
      • Please contact 719-526-6818



    BSEP and GT Prep Explained
    BSEP Classes and Schedule
    CLEP DSST Info and Schedule
    College 101 Brief Schedule
    DANTES ACT-SAT Exam Info Sheet
    ETS Brief Schedule and Info
    Fort Carson College Reps Info
    GED, GRE, GMAT, PRAXIS Reimbursement
    GoArmyEd Account Activation Guide
    GoArmyEd Quick Guide
    Post 9-11 GI Bill Flyer and Brief Times
  • College Representatives

    These services are offered in building 1012, second floor.

    Full Service College Representatives at the Education Center
    Location Phone Hours
    Colorado State University-Pueblo (room 213) 719-526-2509/719-442-2264 Office hours vary by school. Please call their office phone number to inquire.
    Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (room 237 and 238) 719-526-3387/719-576-6858 Office hours vary by school. Please call their office phone number to inquire.
    Pikes Peak Community College (room 244) 719-502-4200/888-645-7764 Office hours vary by school. Please call their office phone number to inquire.
    University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (room 212) 719-526-8066/719-255-3253 Office hours vary by school. Please call their office phone number to inquire.
    TRIO (room 214)
    Local Off-Post College Representatives with Occasional Office Hours at the Education Center
    Location Phone Hours
    Colorado Christian University 719-867-5811/719-867-5802 Office hours vary by date and time. Please contact the school for additional information to set up an appointment.
    Colorado Technical University 719-867-5811 Office hours vary by date and time. Please contact the school for additional information to set up an appointment.
    DeVry University 719-930-2065 Office hours vary by date and time. Please contact the school for additional information to set up an appointment.
    National American University 719-424-0996 Office hours vary by date and time. Please contact the school for additional information to set up an appointment.
    Regis University 303-458-4397/719-264-7094 Office hours vary by date and time. Please contact the school for additional information to set up an appointment.
    Webster University 719-590-7340 Office hours vary by date and time. Please contact the school for additional information to set up an appointment.

    Other accredited colleges in the Colorado Springs area: ACCELCS.org

    Other accredited colleges in the United States: Department of Education´s College Navigator

    Colorado In-State Tuition

    Active-duty military and Family members stationed in Colorado are eligible for resident tuition rates at any state-supported institution of higher education. Please visit building 1012, room 138, for assistance with certification.

  • Education and Promotion

    Converting Army Experience to College Credit

    Individual college determines use of credits by reviewing your Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript (AARTS)

    Request a JST (AARTS) transcript online at https://jst.doded.mil.

    Some schools may require you to complete one or more courses before making your evaluation official. However, you can always inquire about an unofficial evaluation to give you an idea of how many credits you have.

    Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Enlisted Commissioning Program

    This program allows active duty enlisted Soldiers to obtain a scholarship to attend college while on active duty. Upon earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and successfully completing the National Council for Licensure Examination-RN, Soldiers are commissioned as second lieutenants in the Army Nurse Corps.

    For more information visit: https://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/

    Green to Gold

    The Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) provides financial assistance for the education and training of highly motivated young men and women who desire to be commissioned officers in the Army after graduation from college. ROTC offers both scholarship and non-scholarship programs.

    For more information visit: https://www.goarmy.com/rotc/enlisted-soldiers.html

    Interservice Physician Assistant Training Program

    This program allows active duty enlisted to pursue training as a Physician Assistant and become commissioned officers upon completion of the program. Applicants are screened in several areas. For more information on application procedures, see an Education Counselor.

    For more information visit: https://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ipap/

    Officer Candidate School (OCS)

    This program allows active duty enlisted Soldiers who have completed at least 90 semester hours of college to pursue commissioning. Applicants are screened in several areas. For more information on application procedures, see an education counselor.

    For more information visit: http://www.armyocs.com/

    Warrant Officer Accession Program

    This program allows active duty enlisted to pursue commissioning as a warrant officer. Applicants are screened in several areas. For more information on application procedures, see an education counselor.

    For more information visit: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.shtml

    West Point United States Military Academy

    West Point provides a unique military training experience while obtaining an undergraduate education.

    For more information visit: https://westpoint.edu/

Military Personnel Division

  • Casualty Assistance Center

    1625 Ellis St., Bldg. 1218
    Rooms 306-311
    Fort Carson, CO 80913

    Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed on federal holidays)
    After hours: Fort Carson Operations Center will contact on-call personnel. The following numbers automatically forward to the Fort Carson Operations Center - 719-526-5613, 719-526-5614 and 719-526-2510.

    CAC chief 719-526-8339
    Operations coordinator 719-526-5613/5614
    Training instructor 719-526-5613/5614
    Mortuary coordinator 719-526-5613/5614
    Memorial coordinator 719-526-5613/5614
    Benefits coordinator 719-526-5613/5614
    DTS travel 719-526-5613/5614
    Fax 719-526-8492

    Fort Carson Casualty Assistance Center - usarmy.carson.imcom-central.list.dhr-mpd-casualty@mail.mil

    Fort Carson Military Funeral Honors - usarmy.carson.imcom.mbx.dhr-mpd-military-funeral-honors@mail.mil

    Casualty Notification Officer/Casualty Assistance Officer Training

    The Fort Carson Casualty Assistance Centers holds monthly three-day Casualty Notification and Casualty Assistance Training. Classes are limited to the first 25 Soldiers to register. Click here for schedule and more information

  • Personnel Processing Branch

    Consolidated Assignments Processing Section

    Family Travel

    If Soldier is going overseas and Family Members are authorized to join them, schedule an appointment for an Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) overseas screening. The screening is mandatory for all Family Members who wish to accompany their sponsor overseas. Soldier must attend briefing prior to making appointment to obtain proper documentation.

    Information about making appointments can be made by calling the EFMP office at (719) 526-7805.


    No-fee passports (with dependents tour) should be applied for as soon as possible because of the time it takes to receive them back. Orders listing family by name are required to apply for passports. Download the memorandum (page 1) and photo appointment information (page 2).

    MAC Flights

    The Military Personnel Division Port Calls Section only book flights for the following countries provided flights are available. In the event flights are not available the Soldier will be given what is needed by Port Calls to make arrangements for commercial flight through Carlson Wagonlit.

    Destination flights are as follows:

    • Italy
    • Cuba
    • Kuwait
    • Korea
    • Japan
    Command Sponsorship/EFMP/Family Travel Guidelines

    If you are on assignment to an OCONUS duty station you will need the following documents (based on your country of destination) to request command sponsorship. We DO NOT provide copies of these forms you must go online complete and print them prior to seeing us.

    Forms must be completed completely.

    • DA 5888
    • DA 4787 (complete blocks 3-17a)
    • DA 5121 (Signed by Soldier & S1)
    • Current ERB / ORB
    • DD 1172 (must come from DEERS office)
    Hawaii / Guam / Australia
    • DA 5888
    • DA 4787 (complete blocks 3-17a)
    • DA 5121 (Signed by Soldier & S1)
    • DA 1172 (must come from DEERS office)
    • DA 5888
    • DA 4787 (complete blocks 3-17a)
    • DA 5121 (Signed by Soldier & S1)
    • DA 1172 (must come from DEERS office)
    • Current ERB / ORB
    • Solder Declaration (Sex Offender Memo)
    Puerto Rico
    • DA 5888
    • DA 4787 (complete blocks 3-17a)
    • DA 5121 (Signed by Soldier & S1)
    • DA 1746
    • DA 1172 (must come from DEERS office)
    • DA 5888
    • DA 4787 (complete blocks 3-17a)
    • DA 5121 (Signed by Soldier & S1)
    • DA 1172 (must come from DEERS office)
    • DA 5888
    • DA 4787 (complete blocks 3-17a)
    • DA 5121 (Signed by Soldier & S1)
    • DA 1172 (must come from DEERS office)
    • Current ERB / ORB
    • Solder Declaration (Sex Offender Memo)

    Retiree Services Office

    Hours: Monday - Friday 0700-1200, 1300-1530
    Closed on Federal Holidays

    Retirement Services Officer (RSO) - 719-526-2840

    SBP Counselor - 719-526-2840

    Fax - 719-526-8492

    Address: Retirement Services Officer
    6351 Wetzel Ave.
    Bldg 1525, Rm 308
    Ft. Carson, CO 80913

    Retiree Council Chair: 719-783-0758

    Retiree Council Co-Chair: 719-499-9846

    Retiree Council meetings are held every third Tuesday of each month at the FT. Carson Golf Course at 0900 hrs.

    New Member Application

    Major Requirement for selection to Chief of Staff, Army, Retiree Council

    • Actively serving on the local council

  • Deers and ID Cards

    Deers and ID Cards

    Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 7:30am - 11:30am; 12:30pm - 4:00pm
    Thursday: 8:30am - 11:30am; 12:30pm - 4:00pm
    Federal Holidays: Closed

    Mail Correspondence
    Human Resources Services Center
    Attn: ID Cards
    1839 O'Connell Blvd / Bldg 1039
    Ft. Carson, CO 80913

    Appointment link and Acceptable Identification List

    RA, NG, Reserve, ID card renewal/update
    1. Two forms of valid ID
      • Old CAC with drivers license and SS card or birth certificate.
    2. The following applicable documents:
      • Promotion Order
      • Reenlistment Contract or Extension orders
      • Enlisted Record Brief (ERB)
      • Officer Record Brief (ORB)
      • Oath of Office (from enlisted officer)
    3. Military Members must be within grooming standards, per AFI 36-3026
    4. ID cards are not reissued to soldiers or family members being frocked until promotion orders are presented.
    5. Soldiers name change: ERB or ORB + updated Driver's License or Sorcial Security Card.
    6. Reserve/National Guard name change: 2-A for Enlisted, 2-B for Officers
    Retiree (Reg. Active Duty)
    1. Two forms of valid ID
      • Old CAC with drivers license and SS card or birth certificate.
    2. DD 214 copy 4 or retirement orders
    Retiree and Spouse: 65 Years Old
    1. Retirement ID, Drivers License, & Medicare Card.
    Reserve Retiree (60 years of age)
    1. Two forms of valid ID
      • Old Reserve Retiree ID card with Drivers License and SS card or birth certificate.
    2. 20 Year Letter
    Lost ID card for Soldiers (includes final out-processing)
    1. Two forms of valid ID
      • Drivers License or current passport or Social Security card or Birth Certificate
    2. Lost memo from Commander
    3. Lost ID memo from the Provost Marshall's Office
    Lost retiree ID card
    1. Two forms of valid ID
      • Drivers License and SS Card or Birth Certificate or Valid Passport
    Lost Dependent ID Card
    1. Sponsor must be present or valid power of attorney presented
    2. Spouse: Two forms of valid ID
      • Drivers License and SS Card or Birth Certificate or Current Passport. NOTE: Name on both listed ID's avobe have to match name in DEERS.
    3. Child: Birth Certificate or Social Security card, if under 18. Driver's License and Social Security Card if over 18 years of age.
    Damaged ID Card (Soldiers) (other than normal wear & tear)
    1. Two forms of valid ID:
      • Old CAC with drivers license or current passport or Social Security card or birth certificate
    2. Damaged ID memo from Commander
    New Marriage
    1. Marriage certificate (original or certified copy)
    2. Two forms of valid ID:
      • Valid drivers license or valid Passport (photo ID)
      • Social security card with SS# and name
    3. Final divorce decree, if applicable
    New born/stepchild/adoption/custody
    1. New born/step children:
      • State Birth Certificate (Original or Certified Copy) or Live Birth Record from Hospital (Including Fathers, Mothers, and Infants Information / Signed by Dr. or Nurse)
      • Marriage certificate (orignial or certified copy). Required for Step-children enrollment.
      • Social security card. Note: Enrollment of Stepchildren: Divorce Decree required if spouse was previously married to a Service Member.
    2. Pre-adoption: US recognized placement agency paperwork or court order of adoption in process.
      • State birth certicate (original or certified copy) or Live Birth Record from hospital (including fathers, mothers, and infants information; signed by the doctor or nurse).
      • Social Security Card.
    3. Adoption: Final Adoption Decree signed by Judge, New Birth Certificate, & new SS Card.
    4. Custody/Guardianship: custody or guardianship court order signed by the Judge. Must state for 12 months or longer if temporary Court Order.
      • State Birth Certificate (Original or Certified Copy) or Live Birth Record from Hospital (Including Fathers, Mothers, and Infants Information / Signed by Dr. or Nurse)
      • Social Security Card
    Dependent Child ID
    1. Birth certificate and Social Security card if under 18, and Driver's License and Social Security Card of over 18 years of age.
    2. Note: Children under 10 years of age do not receive an ID card unless the following condition(s) exist:
      • Single parent family
      • Joint military family
      • Child residing outside of household
    Child born out of wedlock
    1. Court order establishing paternity or voluntary acknowledgement of paternity or approved dependency determination from DFAS
    2. State birth certificate (original or certified copy) or Live Birth Record from hospital (including fathers, mothers, and infants information; signed by the doctor or nurse)
    3. Social Security card
    Sponsor appelate leave/incarcerated status
    1. Two forms of valid ID:
      • Old CAC with Drivers License or current passport or Social security card or birth certificate
    2. Verification from approving agency (JAG, Army Legal etc...) or DEERS verification through Army Clerk and Recorders
    Dependents/full time students, children ages 21-23

    Note: Sponsor must update Dependants DEERS Information, unless valid Power of Attorney is Presented. Sponsor must provide over 50% of dependents care.

    1. School certification with the following information:
      • Student letter: Form must be on official letter head from an accredited school.
      • Date start of school.
      • Expected date of graduation.
      • Must state full time or at least 12 credit hours.
      • Point of contact, name, phone number, and signature of school official
    2. Old ID, Valid State or Federal ID with Social Security Card.
    Unremarried widow-db (expired)
    1. Two forms of ID (valid)
      • Old ID card with drivers license or SS card or birth certificate or current Passport.
    2. Sponsor's Death certificate (for initial update only).
    Unremarried former spouse (DB)20/20/20
    1. Final divorce decree (for initial ID Card only).
    2. Marriage Certificate (for initial ID Card only).
      • Old ID Card with Drivers License and SS Card or Birth Certificate or Current Passport
    3. DD214 or Statement of Service (for initial ID Card only).
    4. Note: Only Former Spouses meeting 20/20/20 or 20/20/15 Status may receive continued benefits.
    Outprocessing (DEMOB, ETS)
    1. Old CAC. (if CAC lost, memo from unit commander and PMO statement plus two forms of valid ID).
    2. Final DD 214, Copy #4 (no worksheet)
    3. REFRAD or separation order.
    4. Clearance paper or out processing checklist.
    Mail out program
    1. Sponsor resides in another state and no POA is available.
      • Two forms of ID (valid). Old ID card with drivers license and SS card or Birth Certificate Social Security card or birth certificate
      • Current address of sponsor. Note: dependent will be issued 30-60 day temporary ID until mail-out returned.
    2. If sponsor or dependent is incapacitated or immobilized:
      • Notarized 4x6 (minimum size) Photo of applicant.
      • Notarized DD Form 1172-2. Mail Documents to the ID Cards/DEERS Section. (See top of this document for address.)
    Enrolling spouse & children with foreign documents
    1. Spouse: Marriage Certificate (translated), Valid Passport and Visa or Foreign Driver’s License ID’s (Identification must meet Acceptable Identity Documents)
    2. Child: Birth Certificate (translated), Valid Passport and Visa if over 18.
    3. Note: All Foreign Documents must be translated to English.
    DOD Civilians/contractors: new hire / renewal
    1. Must already be top loaded in DEERS
    2. Two Forms of ID (Valid) Old ID Card with Drivers License and SS Card or Birth Certificate or Current Passport.
    DOD civilian/contractor: lost/stolen id
    1. Memo from manager or supervisor (if lost or stolen).
    2. Memo from Provost Marshall's Office (PMO)
    3. Two Forms of ID (Valid): Drivers License or Passport with SS Card or Birth Certificate.
    Non-appropriate Fund (NAF)
    1. DD form 1172-2 signed by Signature Card holder.
    2. Two forms of valid ID:
      • Drivers license or passport or Birth certificate or Social Security card.
    3. Memo from manager and PMO statement if lost or stolen.
    Disabled american veteran: initial/lost
    1. VA letter stating 100% disability rating (initial card).
    2. DD 214 (initial card)
    3. Two forms of valid ID:
      • Drivers license or passport or Birth certificate or Social Security card.
    4. Social Security card (initial ID card issueance)
    5. PMO or police report if lost or stolen
  • In/Out Processing

    In/Out Processing

    All inbound Solders, Colonel and below, must sign in at the Replacement Detachment CQ. The Replacement Detachment is Building 1456, located at 1783 Nelson Boulevard Colorado Springs, Colorado 80913.

    To ensure installation in-processing is quick, simple and convenient, all in-processing requirements are completed while the Soldier is at the Replacement Detachment.

    Call the Replacement Detachment CQ in advance for pick-up arrangements at (719) 526-6961 or (719) 524-4475.

    In-processing: report to Building 1456 and sign in with the CQ desk.

    If reporting during duty hours, Soldiers must be in uniform. Soldiers are authorized to report in civilian clothes after 1500 and on weekends; however, you must be clean shaven and in accordance with AR 670-1.

    Map of Fort Carson


    Unaccompanied (SGT & Below)

    Lodging will be provided at Barracks Building 1449. While assigned to the Replacement Detachment, individuals will participate in a 5 day in-processing schedule. APFU is required for scheduled PRT sessions.

    Accompanied SSG and below, WO1, 2LT and 1LT

    Please make your own lodging arrangements. Individuals will participate in a 5 day in-processing schedule. APFU is required for scheduled PRT sessions.

    SFC and Above, CW2 and Above, CPT and Above

    Please make your own lodging arrangements. Individuals will participate in Executive in-processing (1-3 days in length).

    What to bring:

    All Soldiers on assignment to Fort Carson should bring with them all CIF. When you report, you must have the following documentation:

    • 5 copies of all assignment orders & amendments
    • 5 copies of DA Form 31 (leave form)
    • Copies of profiles (P3 & above only)
    • Medical Record (If given to you by losing Command)
    • Dental Record(If given to you by losing Command)
    • Please attempt to bring all copies on your own. We can assist with making copies if needed, by exception.

    If you are attempting to get a compassionate re-assignment, you must report to MPD CAPS, Building 1525 Room 210.

    If you plan to take permissive TDY in conjunction with your PCS leave and it is annotated on your DA31 and approved by an O5 or higher, please sign in at the Replacement CQ desk. The CQ NCO will modify your DA31 to reflect the 10 days PTDY; this is no longer completed at housing. When your PTDY is complete, return to the CQ desk to begin in-processing. Save this DA31 because Finance will need it to complete your travel requirements.

    If you need a leave extension, check your orders for contact information or call the Replacement Detachment at (719) 526-696 or (719) 524-4475.


    IAW FC Regulation 210-8, and AR 670-1, ALL out-processing Soldiers MUST be in duty uniform (ACU's, Class A, or Class B) at all times.


    You are required to pick up your clearing papers in person at building 1525, CAPS Waiting Area, 10 business days prior to your anticipated day of departure. You must furnish 9 copies of these orders, and 5 copies of your DA FORM 31, DA Form 4036-R, AT Level 1 Certificate, HIV printout and permissive TDY (if applicable). You must be in Military Uniform (DCU’s, Class A’s or Class B’s).


    You are required to pick up your clearing papers in person at building 1525, CAPS Waiting Area, 10 business days prior to your anticipated day of departure. You must furnish 9 copies of these orders, and 5 copies of your approved DA Form 31, and permissive TDY (if applicable). You must be in Military Uniform (DCU’s, Class A’s or Class B’s).

    What to bring:

    PCS (Permanent Change of Station)
    • Request for Clearing Papers (Submitted 30 Days Prior to Departure)
    • Copy of Orders
    • Copy of Leave Form DA 31 (Approved).
    MEB (Medical Evaluation Board)
    • Request for Clearing Papers (Submitted 30 Days Prior to Departure)
    • Copy of Orders
    • Copy of Leave Form DA 31 (Approved).
    • Request for Clearing Papers (Submitted 30 Days Prior to Departure)
    • Copy of Orders
    • Copy of Leave Form DA 31 (Approved).

    Certain chapters require escort of E-5 and up for E-4’s and below and if soldier is E-5 and up, the escort must be of equal grade or higher grade (These Chapters that require an escort are as follows: Chapter 5-13, 5-17, 9, 10, 13, 14, and 18)

    All other Chapters do not require an escort (These Chapters are 5-16, 5-8, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 16-2, 17 and 19)

    Temporary Change of Station (TCS) Management

    Issuance & management of deployment orders for all regular Army units and Soldiers assigned to Fort Carson.

  • Quality Control Branch


    • eMILPO
    • iPERMS Review
    • Non-Divisional Miltiary Personnel Files
  • Soldier for Life - Transition Assistance Program


    SFL TAP’s interactive, multimedia computer based training system, TAP XXI, provides you with transition information and job assistance training to start you on your way to a satisfying and successful future. TAP XXI uses full-screen, full-motion video, graphics, audio and customized applications. It's easy and fun to use. SFL TAP counselors help transitioning soldiers complete resumes, job applications and Federal job application materials, as well as assisting with job searches.

    SFL TAP is a congressionally mandated program that was established in 1991. According to the National Defense Authorization Act, Public Law 102-510 (1995), as amended by Public Law 107-103 (2001), all transitioning soldiers with 180 days active duty must attend a pre-separation briefing at least 90 days prior to separation. Contact your SFL TAP Center to schedule an introduction to TAP XXI's features and benefits.

    Our Career Counselors

    We are staffed with highly qualified career counselors and two certified financial counselors. All possess a minimum of a Master's Degree and one possesses a Ph.D. Their job is to assist soldiers and other eligible personnel transitioning from military to civilian life. Our counselors have numerous years of combined experience in assisting soldiers to successfully transition from military to civilian life.

    TAP XXI Pre-Separation Briefing and Initial Counseling

    The Pre-Separation Briefing supports many benefits that the Army offers to transitioning soldiers including relocation assistance, employment assistance, financial management assistance, health and life insurance, and reserve affiliation.

    A career counselor assists transitioning soldiers in initiating the mandatory eForm. The eForm can also be used by the soldier as confirmation for utilizing SFL TAP services at any SFL TAP installation close to the transitioning soldier's relocation address.

    At the briefing you work with an SFL TAP counselor and have an opportunity to setup an individual career counseling session. You will also receive a referral sheet. The Service Provider Referral Information Sheet provides you with points of contact and phone numbers of valuable resources on post and the Colorado Springs area.

    The completed electronically signed eForm is a mandatory document which is required to clear SFL – TAP and at the soldier’s final out-processing appointment.

    The soldier can obtain this document by attending the ITP Review class.

    TAP XXI Interactive Job Assistance Training Application
    • Helps you design and manage your transition plan.
    • Lets you set objectives and assess your skills.
    • Includes many electronic job search tools, including access to the Internet.
    • Helps you write effective resumes and cover letters.
    • Explains how to network for job opportunities.
    • Provides interview strategies.
    • Prepares you to negotiate salary and benefits.
    • Trains you to manage a career and prepare for advancement.
    • Provides an excellent foundation for a winning career in the civilian world.
    • Saves you time and guides your success.
    • Reduces stress associated with transitioning and the job search process.
    • Promotes and increases self-confidence.
    • Helps you retain transition information and job assistance training better and longer.


    Considering Leaving the Army? Ready to Retire? Planning to ETS? Chapter status?

    • SFL TAP is a congressionally mandated program through Chapter 58, United States Code, Sections 1142, 1143, 1143a, and 1144.
    • Retiring Soldiers can initiate the SFL TAP process two years from their proposed retirement date.
    • Soldiers ETSing can initiate the SFL TAP process one year from their separation date.
    • Soldiers who are being chaptered or medically boarded from the service must call the SFL TAP Center as soon as possible.
    • Annex I, FCCO TAP Transition Concept, 11-0920, requires Soldiers separating for any reason to complete Preseparation Counseling 12 months before separation; an individual transition plan 10 months before separation; the Department of Labor TAP Employment Workshop 9 months before separation; the VA Benefits Briefing 6 months before separation; and resumes of choice 5 months before separation.

    Upon the initial contact, we will obtain information that allows us to enroll you in the SFL TAP system. This procedure allows you to schedule appointments, attend workshops, utilize the computer, and receive one-on-one sessions with your assigned counselor.

    Clearing SFL TAP

    We do not make appointments to clear. We have specific clearing times only. SFL TAP Center Bldg 6237, Rm 104 Monday - Friday 9:00am - 3:00pm.


    Pre-separation Briefings are held in the main SFL-TAP Center, building 6237, room 104. Call to schedule and obtain directions or stop by to pick up instructions on how to complete this briefing online.

    Mandatory SFL-TAP classes include: Transition Overview, MOS Crosswalk, Financial Planning, DOL Employment Workshop and VA Benefits & Services. There are also elective classes, such as Federal Resume Writing, Advanced Resume Writing, Interview Techniques and Dress for Success and optional two-day tracks (Entrepreneurship, Technical and Higher Education). Stop by the SFL-TAP Center to pick up a calendar of all available classes.

    SFL-TAP hosts multiple monthly smaller hiring events (20 employers) at our center and two to three larger hiring events (85-200 employers) throughout the year. We also host monthly Transition Resource Fairs and Career Skills Program Information Sessions. Stop by the SFL-TAP Center to pick up a calendar with all our scheduled events.

    Hours of operation: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 4:00pm. (We are closed on all Federal Holidays and OPEN on Training Holidays.)


    External links

Workforce Development

Objective: Sustain a multi-skilled Installation Management workforce with the knowledge, capabilities, skills and opportunities to successfully and innovatively deliver our products and services to Soldiers, Families and Civilians around the world.

Fort Carson users only: WFD Sharepoint site for additional information

  • Programs

    • Army Career Tracker
    • Civilian Education System (CES)
    • Civilian Mentoring Program
      • The Civilian Mentoring Program is a means of tapping into the valuable resource of high potential employees as well as instilling a culture of assisting and developing less experienced employees to succeed, thereby promoting learning, career planning, job enrichment, and career progression.
    • Individual Development Plan (IDP)
      • Quality individual development planning is vital to assuring the current and future capability of our workforce in accomplishing IMCOM's challenging mission. When supervisors do their annual counseling sessions with their employees, they must assure that each employee has an IDP in place and that the plans are in alignment with the employee's career plan.
    • Manager Exchange Sessions
      • A forum held quarterly to exchange important information that all managers should know.
    • Orientation for New Employees (ONE)
      • In support of the IMCOM ONE program, the Garrison is committed to a comprehensive new employee orientation policy. The goal of the orientation is to outline the mission and vision of the Garrison, as a whole, as well as the individual organization. In an effort to identify and establish the roles and responsibilities of the newly assigned employee; the orientation serves as a means to directly align the new employee’s position with the organization’s mission and ultimately build team cohesion.
    • Total Army Performance Evaluation System (TAPES)
      • Encourage an environment where others feel free to contribute openly and candidly in order to create a unit that is poised to recognize and adapt to change. Develop leaders who are approachable, show respect for others’ opinions, and who welcome contrary view points or unconventional ideas.
    • Training
      • All training information can be found at the sharepoint link below.